Boxing for Parkinsons
At The Birches at Newtown, FOX Rehab offers a boxing class for people with Parkinson’s Disease. The class is offered to residents and others in the community and focuses on balance and coordination.
The short video is a news clip by FOX NEWS Bill Anderson which highlights the program and its impact.
About The Wellness Plus Program
A Complete Spectrum of Rehabilitative Care is available at The Birches at Newtown Personal Care and Memory Care
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy
- Exercise Physiology
- Functional Assessments; Falls and Balance Assessments
- Strength, Mobility and Balance Exercise Program
- Fox Optimal Living
Specialized therapy services are also available to residents living with Parkinson’s disease or other movement disorders.
Resident Success Story!
One of our residents moved to the Birches 2.5 years ago following a stroke. This resident's daughter shared that the therapy her mom received in the hospital prior to moving to our facility was very discouraging and told her Mom she would never walk again. Fast forward 2.5 years, and our resident has dedicated her time to working hard and participating in our Fox Therapy, 1 to 1 wellness visits, and activities at the Birches. This resident is now on a program where she performs exercise and walking every morning after breakfast, and she has accomplished the feat of walking 275ft with her rolling walker!
Optimal Living is part of our Memory Care neighborhood too!
Because muscles don’t get dementia, residents in the Memory Care Neighborhood also participate.
FOX Program Focus
FOL focuses on several important programs that enhance both physical and emotional well-being, including:
- Sit to be Fit - Seated strength and aerobic exercises for intermediate and wheelchair residents.
- Strength, Balance & Mobility and Balancing Act - Higher level standing classes to challenge balance and promote dynamic strength and coordination
- Walk & Roll - Walking program with both individual and group walking.
- Range & Relaxation - A range of motion and stretching program for our Memory Care residents to promote better joint mobility and maintain flexibility, done in a relaxing setting with calming music
- Meditation – Practicing different techniques from guided imagery to breathing awareness to help reduce stress and increase overall well-being.
What else do we get from FOX?
Other elements of the Fox Optimal Living Program include dementia education for community caregivers, continence programming offered to all residents, disease-specific wellness programs, customized cognitive exercise classes for residents with dementia, on-call physical therapists, dementia support groups for families and ergonomic analyses and wellness offerings for staff. These benefits are offered with no additional cost to the residents or their families.
Specialized Care for Individual Needs
Your loved one will benefit from specialized care based on their individual needs. We target specific health issues in order to create a higher quality of living for your loved one, focusing on both physical and emotional wellbeing.